Canadian Independent School District

 

 

Canadian Independent School District embodies the beliefs of promise and progress as students and staff seek academic excellence   

Soon after the deeding of the first town lots of Canadian were complete, a school board was elected and Canadian Common School District 1 and the “Old Rock School” were built.  Classes commenced on November 12, 1888.  Soon a dozen one-room schools dotted the countryside.  The Sante Fe railroad provided additional education programs for the rural community.

     A campaign was launched to privately fund a college or institution of higher learning known as the Canadian Academy.  Built in 1900, the academy provided the opportunity for students to be educated from kindergarten through the collegiate level.  In addition to the Academy, the community built the Mary B. Isaac School, a public elementary school.  By 1919 financial problems plagued the Academy.  The enactment of state legislature on March 19, 1919 incorporated the new Canadian Independent School District, replacing the Canadian Common School District 1 and forcing the closing of the academy.  One by one, the small schools closed their doors and students were transported to Canadian to attend the Mary B. Isaac School and a new high school.  The 1930’s were a decade of change and progress.  The B. M. Baker School housing grades 1-8 replaced the Mary B. Isaac School.  A WPA project lead to the building of the Tom L. Hoover High School on the grounds of the old Canadian Academy.  The city donated land and erected a football stadium behind the new gymnasium.  This school would become known as Canadian High School.

As the oil and gas industry boomed, the community grew, and progressive changes were necessary.  Classes were added, teachers hired, and curriculum was expanded.  The school board believed that every child was the promise of a progressive future for the community.  They used their vast financial resources to build upon that promise for progress.  In 1975, Canadian opened the football season in a natural bowl stadium while the present high school became the home of the Wildcats.  The former high school was renovated, becoming the Canadian Middle School.  An administrative building, band hall, Ag facilities, and tennis courts were added through the years.  In 1984, Canadian Elementary School became apart of the plant facilities.  The next decade Canadian ISD purchased a building to house the Trails Alternative School and expanded its curriculum and staff to provide the educational program for the Correctional Services Corporation. 

Technology for the twenty-first century was the next natural step in this promise for progress.  The trustees for the school district set aside $386,000 for the implementation of this program.  The district obtained a T-1 Line, networked over 600 computers, built a Distance Learning Lab, and provided training for staff, students and community members. Hardware and software purchases served to provide curriculum and enrich existing programs.  In February 2000 the district received a TIF Grant for the extension of the network and the creation of a Virtual Library.  During the 2000-2001 school year, Canadian ISD began the process of upgrading the network and hardware.

Today Canadian Independent School District consists of early childhood through grade 12.  Many high school students concurrently take class offerings from Frank Phillips College for university credit.  Eight hundred and nine students  attend classes in Canadian Elementary (EC, PK-2), Baker Elementary (3-5), Canadian Middle School (6-8), Canadian High School (9-12), and Trails Alternative School.